[Konvas] Kragnagorsk 1/2 question

colcam at aim.com colcam at aim.com
Fri Jan 5 14:06:13 EST 2018

I can see reasons for wanting to shoot 16mm, and actually like "standard frame" 16mm cropped to 1.78 better than super16 because it has more than enough resolution for a 1920 scan at low cost and I am used to losing head and foot shooting 35mm for 1.85 display, anyway.

And I admit I sank some coins into Auricon and Arri bodies because they were the best I could get in terms of being user friendly.   I believe I still have a Frezzi H16 I used to shoot commercials and some drop in footage for low budget replacements.  That was the Frezzolini "upright" built on an Auricon body with a pistol grip for news or handheld use.

I loaned it to several people to learn on, and most of them discovered that second rate cameras and second rate lenses and second rate lighting in 35mm didn't look anywhere as good as a Frezzi with an Angenieux zoom hanging on the front with good film and good lighting.

I loved the Kinor35S with LOMO glass, but hated the K- series with the poor lenses they seemed to push on it.   I liked the Arri BL, too, and the SR series, but not the IIb/IIc/IImedical or the pre-SR in 16mm.  It seems that there is an H on eBay, but at the same kind of price as an Arri, and it is in Spain, of all places-- and needs an overhaul.

This just is not fair.  To get the cameras and lenses, then pay for film and stock to make 16mm sing you spend almost as much as a low cost but solid 35mm and recan/processing, exactly the way it was thirty years ago.

On the other hand, I got got a quote on a test digital camera with one zoom permanently mounted on it, two batteries, charger, and video streamer to a huge raid outfit, and buying an ocean front house is cheaper.

I guess I am just an image snob, but that camera actually delivered a test that was above 35mm 1.85 and doggone close to better than anamorphic 35mm delivered images.

Can we go back to crayons?