[Konvas] Kragnagorsk 1/2 question

Stanley Bullock obscureimages at comcast.net
Fri Jan 5 13:32:31 EST 2018

Hey Brandon,

Please remember that the A Minima spools are different from a traditional 200' daylight spool. The A Minima requires an A wind (emulsion out) instead of the more standard B wind. Many labs will wind your film onto an A Minima spool for a small fee. Also, make sure the processing lab returns your spools; they are not the same as a 200' daylight spool and are getting harder to find. The A minima spools are driven by their edge, not from the center. Again, all of this can be mitigated by a friendly lab, so call a few in advance. :)

Prices for S16 gear is creeping upwards again. I purchased an Arri SR2 a couple of years back from a used equipment supplier and I've noticed that prices are now $1K to 1.5K higher for the same rig than they were a year or so ago.

In my opinion, I'd ditch the Krasnogorsk idea. I used them in film school - man, such a long time ago! - and they were guaranteed to chew up at least some of the film and lose their loop frequently. Get yourself a Bolex, preferably an SBM or REX 5 that was factory S16 or modified. More expensive? Absolutely. Destroy film? Lose loop? Nope. You get what you pay for. I've been using an SBM for years.

Also, I've been purchasing stock directly from Kodak. 16mm is not nearly as expensive as 35mm. 400' of 16mm has a TRT of 11 minutes. Compare that to 1,000' of 35mm, which also runs roughly 11 minutes. 400' of 16mm Vision 3 is about $175, whereas 1,000' of 35mm Vision 3 runs about $770. Of course, as you stated, 35mm re-cans and short ends are much easier to find than 16mm re-cans and short ends, so it just depends on what your needs and preferences are.

Hope all is well with you and everyone.

Happy New year, all.

Scott

Stanley Scott Bullock