[Konvas] Kragnagorsk 1/2 question

Adam Frey frey at freysbrewing.com
Fri Jan 5 11:41:23 EST 2018

I agree with Colcam. I bought a K-3 a long time ago and never did get the dang thing to work properly without chewing up at least a few perfs here and there. I sold mine and moved on to a 16mm Filmo, which are extremely well built and practically never have issues. Never messed with or have even seen a real K-1 or K-2 up close.

That said, list member David Crosson had a K-3 we did a test roll with; we shot it here on the farm and it looked decent enough, IMO. It had lots of flare, but the 17-69mm Zenit zoom was kinda limiting - you’d be doing a lot of running to get all the shots needed. Luckily it’s an M42 lens mount, so you can swap it out with other lenses. The Zenit isn’t going to compare to LOMO lenses in any way though. As for the camera body - it’s loud as all get out, only holds 100’ of film, kinda hard to load, and tends to have light leaks. If you can get the film to load and not get eaten, you’re better than me.

Most buy the the K-3 unopened from their Soviet days and immediately send them off to get rebuilt - so you’ll drop a lot more money on it than the up front expected costs. If you want to convert them to Super16, it’s gonna cost even more. You could possibly do some (all?) of the work yourself, if you have the right tools and the know-how, but I doubt you’d make your money back for all the time invested and specific tools needed after you sold it.

P.S. David Crosson ran me over with the Filmo’s big brother, the 35mm Eyemo, on a film shoot one time. What a good memory... bahaha

Cheers!

Adam Frey
Frey's Brewing Company
http://freysbrewing.com