[Konvas] Film grain aliasing

colcam at aim.com colcam at aim.com
Sun Jul 16 22:39:57 EDT 2017

 Personally, I run for cover and let someone who is younger with more energy try to do it.  They had a reel of filters that looked like it was from an oversized Viewmaster.

I did a bit of conversion of negative still frame 35 24x36mm frames and it took me several hours per frame to get them done right.

Ektachrome/Fujichrome took longer.

Agfachrome was unreal, and I could get the frame perfect in looks-- but the digital frame looked nothing like the film.  Both of them were outstanding, just different.

Kodachrome snapped over easily, but was super, super, super high contrast, just like the original frame.

Two and a half or three hours per frame, uh, twenty four frames per second. . . an hour and forty one minutes of image, ignore the text of title and credits, just the image. . . do the math and you might catch on as to why I loved the look of Agfa stock and Kodak 5277 but realized converting it was a nightmare and that we needed to go another way.  I did tests on 256fps 4k (okay, each shot was limited to about sixty five seconds due to storage and transfer speeds) and it was so real it enthralled me but the audience hated that realism.

I've done some math on a digital interlace high speed system, just need a few million dollars to make the gear and run the test.

Anyone got some spare change they don't need, and wants to underwrite it?

How big a pile would eight million dollars be if it was standard American pocket change?  This is where the internet is strangely wonderful.  The average American pocket change assortment is about $44,000.00 a US standard ton.  That is about a hundred and eighty two tons of coins.

I do have a shovel. . . .