[Konvas] Cinema Digest, Vol 114, Issue 2

Steven Lyle lyleott at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 7 17:07:21 EDT 2015

IMHO plastic look is from the sensor technology versus thefilm grain technology.
Pros and Cons to each.   Digital sensors are fantastic in capturinglow light. But still blow-outs in the hi key areas.  RAW almosteliminates that. But not fully.
Cons to film, less dynamic range. Neat more light.800 ASA is not enough today without tons of light.
Notice Martian movie is in space, low key scenes etc.
BTW, LED lighting really reduces the sweat factor for actorsand crew.
In the 70s, concert lighting made the musicians boil, always sweating.Now with LED concert lights they don't suffer.  Same with movies.
Watched the classic, The Great Escape. Naturalism. Not madein a computer.
Best,Steven