[Konvas] Paint finish techniques question. Bruce Aranda.

RIta Avery speedbird at acousticturtle.plus.com
Fri Jun 12 11:51:45 EDT 2015

Does anybody know how wrinkle paint works. I have a large collection of vintage binoculars of various varieties and ages. I have always been fascinated by optics of all kinds and over the years have collected 100 odd pairs of glasses ( yes, I know) and I am intrigued by the various types of paint finishes not just on binoculars but also camera's including the motion picture range.

Zeiss have adopted a dimple finish which is very attractive and Belomo also have a peculiar finish which again has its own merits. Other Russian optic makes also have their own mix but not always as attractive. I have a number of Ross London binoculars WW11 vintage and as leather was restricted during that period they attempted to copy leather grain using paint. I have downloaded a photo of this but I cannot reduce the size of it so it may not transfer. Arriflex, Aaton, Mitchell etc all finished their cameras in their own brand of paint. The paint finish certainly enhances the attractiveness of the item which is one of the reasons other than optical perfection that Zeiss sold so many binoculars. They chose a tiny dimple finish which is non reflective but is extremely hard wearing due the dimple surface. In fact every pair of binoculars I have have different paint surfaces even though some of them are identical from the same production line.

I assume that a base coat of paint is applied then the second coat has a restricted air supply to make the paint congeal and come out in lumps?  I noticed that Bruce painted a Cameflex and this had a dimpled/ wrinkled finish which was quite attractive.

Anyway, interested if anybody can shine a light on this subject.

Rita.

Sent from my iPad