[Konvas] TODAY 50 % of all the film made was made with an Arri DIGITAL

colcam at aim.com colcam at aim.com
Mon Jun 8 09:18:24 EDT 2015

Mode:  Rant On

Last year IN THE US MARKET less than 22% of movies THEATRICALLY RELEASED were shot on all forms of digital capture.

The market BS is getting deeper and deeper, but go to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_films_of_2014

and look up the technical data on each movie.  What the Arri claim relies on is "shot for television" or "shot for specialty providers" (like Netflix, Hulu, Syfy, HBO, and on and on and on)-- and the direct to video market, either digital download or hard copy sales.

The last budget I ran showed the same trait that budgets have shown for decades:  We spend more on craft services than on the cost of film, processing, and conversion to 4k digital files for edit, then the cutting, color correction, and visual match for a film master that can be copied in all formats.  Much of the budget this, budget that, and don't forget this factor budgeting is not real budgets.  Sit down with an accountant, pull up real numbers, and run a budget, then look at the 4k theatrical release market as being driven by the cost of striking three thousand prints, shipping them around the country, then returning them to the distributor-- not the cost of shooting on film.

Sorry if it appears I am wound up, but shooting on top drawer digital (4k or better) changes the actual shooting budget by less than one half of one percent.

The real cost factor is talent on both sides of the camera, and much of that talent is highly overpaid, but the mid to upper range but not yet a headliner actor pay scale has not dropped, it has gone up quite a bit, and unless he is a problem person, no one is cutting their pay rate.

Mode:  Rant Off