[Konvas] San Francisco - 1906 in HD - YouTube Fascinating

Speedbird@acousticturtle.plus.com speedbird at acousticturtle.plus.com
Sun Dec 20 10:56:56 EST 2015

If you wanted a similar street scene in a film, you could not have achieved the same thing even with a massive budget to choreograph the action. It certainly does look like that people were expecting to see the camera otherwise you would not have so much ad hoc behaviour by car drivers, cyclist and even a cheeky newspaper boy who are intent on agitating the cameraman. The last shots are of young boys waving at the camera who obviously we're commanded to wave. There must have been some driving rules in 1906 but in this scene its every man and woman for themselves. Crossing the road is certainly dicing with death and these people have mastered the techniques of dodging trams, horses and carts and erratic drivers who seem to be under the influence!!!   Happy days!

If you look at the opening scene in "Hello Dolly"  they tried to achieved a busy street scene but no match for the above sequence.  It's very hard to re-create a bustling street scene as you cannot get the timing right to make it look natural. You can shout and holler at people until the cows come home but it will always look faked.

Rita

Sent from my iPad