[Konvas] San Francisco - 1906 in HD - YouTube Fascinating

Taylor Co taylorcobmw at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 19 09:45:34 EST 2015

Thanks, Rita.

I grew up in and around San Francisco. I had seen that clip when I was a kid though never with the ominous music! It is a view down Market St, approaching the Ferry Building. It isn't quite continuous as you can see some edits, how long was a roll of film back then?

It is fascinating to see the detail of ordinary goings on in a bustling city over 100 years ago. The camera was probably mounted on the front of one of the famous cable cars seen in the film that still ply the hills in the city. The speed was very consistent because all the cars on the line grab on to a single steel cable that runs underground through the center of the tracks. If the film was indeed made in 1906 the face of the city changed later that year.

Bruce

Sent from my iPhone