[Konvas] NEXT Tarentino WESTERN

Patrick O'Donnell odonnell.law at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 18:29:48 EST 2015

Obviously, you have extensive experience with how Hollywood works, and I
don't.  I'm not a Tarantino fan, but whatever you think of his work, I
don't think The Hateful Eight is going to have a negative impact on the
ability to use film.  Hollywood has been making crappy movies since they
started making them (and, to paraphrase Theodore Sturgeon, 90% of
everything is crap, so this goes for all art forms.)  I don't know that the
expense of transferring 65mm to 4K is going to stop executives from
throwing money at movies - every year, there are many flops that have huge
budgets, and studios still keep making them.  Judging from their past
records, I'm pretty sure that most of those executives have no idea as to
what makes a good movie or a hit - they just try to copy what was
successful before and hope it works, and if it doesn't, they leave a strong
enough trail so that someone else will take the blame for it.  So far,
Tarantino has made money (I believe Django had his biggest box office to
date) which is why Miramax is willing to spring for the 65mm production and
projection.  And I hope the movie does well, so that this tool remains a
possible option for other filmmakers.