[Konvas] I never seen a nice film in snow done in digital !!!!

Speedbird@acousticturtle.plus.com speedbird at acousticturtle.plus.com
Tue Dec 1 06:54:21 EST 2015

Yes, I agree. In the UK the weather is never that great in summer or winter and I remember the winters when there were some particularly nasty foggy times when it lasted up to a month where you just couldn't see your hand in front of your face because it was so thick ( Peasuper) . So getting a bus going to work was a case of counting lamp posts and using your ears to recognise sounds to establish where the bus stops were. Buses had large yellow lamps which could just make out shapes but it was a slow journey. The reason I mention this is because the only highlight of the week was to go to the cinema to watch a film. In those days they showed one film per week and you had to pick and choose the cinema (there were many) with the most inspirational advertising on the bill boards and ofcourse they displayed production stills outside too to entice the audience in. The purpose of going to the cinema was to "shake off" the "blues" and to be shaken and stirred, hopefully leaving the cinema feeling better than you went in!
This why cowboy films were so successful. Seeing large expanses of wilderness where a man on a horse was free to roam anywhere was just too much to bear. The sun always shined in every scene and to make camp under the stars was pure heaven.  The freedom of it all certainly made you think twice, why slog yourself to death trying to earn a crust when you can roam the plains on a horse. Cowboy films certainly provided all that you could dream of, the space, the weather and the freedom. Ofcourse we never thought of winter scenes in a cowboy film, it wouldn't be right. Watching a winter scene knowing that just outside of the cinema was real snow and ice and that dreaded fog put the mockers on it. It wouldn't be right  Hrrrr!

The only winter scenes I have loved in a film was DR Zhivago especially the ice house scene but as you know it was shot in the summer outside Madrid in sweltering heat. The only genuine snow scenes were when the train sped through the forest at speed but again that was filmed in Norway in the winter! but the ice house was magical albeit smothered in special wax. So winter scenes can be inspirational if given the right treatment.

Rita

Sent from my iPad